Russia intends to help Iran bypass US sanctions. On this, according to the Israeli publication Mako.co.il, with reference to a secret document of the Israeli Foreign Ministry, agreed to Russia, Iran and Turkey during the meeting of heads of state in Tehran on September 7.
The author of the article, Dana Weiss, on her Twitter page reports that Iran will supply its crude oil to refineries in Russia across the Caspian Sea. Then Iranian oil will be sold to other countries already as Russian.
According to media reports, the developed mechanism is ready to support European countries seeking to maintain a nuclear agreement with Iran.
Recall that in 2015, an agreement was reached between Iran and a group of states (Russia, USA, China, Germany, Great Britain, France) on resolving the Iranian nuclear problem (Joint Comprehensive Action Plan (IPAP). Thanks to the agreements reached with Iran, the previously introduced sanctions. However, in May of this year, the United States withdrew from the agreement and announced the restoration by November of all sanctions against Tehran. In addition, Washington is ready to impose secondary sanctions against countries cooperating with Iran. us this decision is not supported.
Why in the foreseeable future will not appear even an upgraded version of the C-500
The countries of the Five and Iran on the margins of the UN General Assembly have already announced their intention to find effective mechanisms to protect trade and economic cooperation with Iran from extraterritorial US sanctions.
“We are convinced that protection measures against these sanctions can be truly effective if they become collective and create the basis for all interested countries to participate in them,” the head of the Russian delegation, Director of the Department for non-proliferation and arms control MFA of Russia Vladimir Ermakov.
Apparently, the mechanisms mentioned above were also implied.
“From the point of view of the interests of our country, expanding the supply of energy is somewhere else beneficial for Russia economically, even if it will be resources supplied to us by a third country,” said Vladimir Avatkov, associate professor of international relations at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Foreign Ministry.
– In addition, there is a geopolitical reality related to the fact that Russia has a great interest in strengthening security, including economic, in the Russia-Turkey-Iran triangle. For this, Iran needs to manifest itself more in the energy component.
There is a third side to the issue, which is related to the fact that both Russia and Iran and Turkey are opposed to sanctions as a method of struggle.
– What is the interest of Turkey?
– Turkey is interested in strengthening itself as an independent center of power. It is trying to show, including Russia, that it is a supra-regional and even world power, on a par with the United States. In this case, it is, of course, an attack towards the United States, an attempt to show that Turkey itself is free to make certain decisions.
Benefits for Turkey, in addition to geopolitical points, may be related to its own economic interests. We do not know that Iran could promise or offer Turkey in connection with the supply of oil or gas. It should be borne in mind that not only Russia can supply Iranian energy resources to Europe, but also Turkey. This kind of arrangement cannot be ruled out.
– Why is Europe ready to support such a mechanism?
– Europe has ties with Iran and develops them within the framework of existing plans, regardless of the withdrawal of the Americans from the famous agreement. Europe continues to insist on the need for Iran to move away from everything connected with the nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of sanctions. Europe is ready to cooperate with Iran, including in the energy sector.
First of all, Europe is interested in diversifying supplies and at the same time they are stable and not very expensive. For Europeans, it is important to expand the forms, methods of supply and, most importantly, the country’s identity of energy resources.
It is clear that from the point of view of Russia, this seems more attractive, but for Europeans it is also an opportunity to receive cheaper energy resources than through other supply channels.
– It is unlikely that such a mechanism like the United States.
- The Americans clearly hinted that they are unhappy that Europeans do not break the agreement with Iran. But at this stage, Europe comes from its own eco-friendly
- European interests. The Europeans agree with the American political agenda, but at the same time reserve the right of economic freedom. But as the Americans intervene in the economic process and increasingly demand political and military, I think that the Europeans will be quite adamant. However, this does not mean that after some time the Americans will not take this into account when making certain decisions when influencing the political context of Europe. According to the postgraduate student of the Center for Post-Soviet Studies of the Institute of World Economy and International Relations. EM Primakov of the Russian Academy of Sciences, political analyst Farhad Ibrahimov and Russia, and Turkey, as well as the European Union, are profitable any transactions that can circumvent American sanctions against Iran for trade with him. Initially, President Trump counted on the support of the so-called European allies they would once again agree with the position of the States about alleged violations of the treaty (IFAP) by Iran. This time, the EU saw that there were no violations by Tehran, the Iranians strictly adhere to all the conditions they have signed. Of course, Moscow and Beijing initially held the same position. And if in 2010 Moscow joined the sanctions against Iran, today the situation is radically different. In Russia and China, they are ready to continue to cooperate with Iran in several directions at once, and in this regard, American sanctions should not be hindered. First, Iran is an important link in the North-South international transport corridor project, whose full-fledged work will start very soon. With its help, cargo transportation from India through Iran to Russia and Europe should increase significantly. Moreover, this will positively affect the growth of trade turnover between Iran and Russia, in particular, therefore, Moscow is not going to lose such a favorable direction because of the US sanctions. second, Iran seeks cooperation with the EEU and the SCO. In this regard, both in Moscow and in Beijing there is a clear understanding that Iran is one of the major regional players in the region and, despite the economic difficulties, has some success, including in the Syrian operation, and also has huge oil reserves and gas. In Europe and Turkey, a mechanism to help circumvent US sanctions for full cooperation with Iran will pursue both political and economic goals. From a political point of view, Brussels and Ankara will try to demonstrate to Washington that they are not their vassals, they have their own point of view and are not going to work on their orders. From an economic point of view, continue and continue to purchase Iranian energy resources in order not to depend on Moscow, although everyone understands that this is not possible, and Iran technically does not have the capabilities that Russia has.
- Will the US be able to oppose this mechanism to something?
- Americans are more likely to try to work out mechanisms that could block alternative ways to cooperate with Iran, possibly imposing sanctions and against large European companies and even impose sanctions on a single EU country. This seems difficult, but it’s quite possible theoretically because their allies cannot go against them, especially in the question of the country that Washington accused of sponsoring international terrorism, without presenting any clear evidence.