NATO intends to spy in Russia with the help of “unique” Global Hawk drones. They, as stated in an interview with the Norwegian edition of Verdens Gang, Secretary General of the Alliance Jens Stoltenberg, are able to look into the Russian territory for hundreds of kilometers.
The devices are a new, improved version of the American reconnaissance UAV “Global Hawk”. It is intended for strategic aerial reconnaissance in the depths of enemy territory for a long time. When flying at high altitudes, it is able to survey large areas, carry out reconnaissance of point targets with high resolution and transmit intelligence to the command in real time.
As the head of the alliance explained, such machines will monitor other countries, being above the territory of a NATO member state. Because they “are able to record what is happening far beyond the borders of our neighboring country.” By “neighboring country” they mean Russia, if you did not get.
The technical equipment of the RQ-4 Global Hawk allows you to track the ground situation from a height of 18 km at a distance of up to 200 km. Moreover, they are able to stay in the air without refueling for up to 30 hours.
According to Stoltenberg, these American units give NATO a unique advantage that Russia and China do not have.
At the moment, as the newspaper notes, five Global Hawk drones have been purchased. Two of them are already being tested at Sigonella airbase in Sicily, where last week, by the way, the alliance opened the first unmanned aerial reconnaissance system (Alliance Ground Surveillance, AGS).
In general, NATO winged scouts regularly “flutter” near our borders. Especially often they are noticed in the region of Crimea and Kaliningrad, where they developed increased activity. Along the coast of the peninsula, for example, over the past five years, more than a thousand UAVs of Western countries have been spotted.
The last time the American RQ-4 Global Hawk, flying from an air base in Sicily, carried out reconnaissance near the borders of Crimea just last Friday. First, it examined the demarcation line in the Donbass, and then flew along the Black Sea coast of Russia.
What do NATO members want to see with the help of American “hawks”? After all, there is an Open Skies Treaty allowing flights of reconnaissance aircraft in the airspace of the countries that signed it. And Russia is one of them …
– The fact is that this agreement does not allow you to fly anywhere and watch what you want, it allows flights along agreed paths, in certain places,” military expert of the Arsenal of the Fatherland magazine Dmitry Drozdenko comments on the situation. – Everything is strictly regulated here.
As for the Global Hawk, then, indeed, the car is unique, and modern is even better. And no one has such a car yet. It’s true.
But this unit is unique in general – from its capabilities to its crazy price. So, one Global Hawk UAV complex, consisting of air and ground segments, is estimated at up to $ 140 million (this does not include the cost of research and development). And the flight hour is more than 30 thousand dollars. However, it is notoriously unprincipled for America.
Global Hawk fly along Russian borders (and Chinese, by the way) constantly. And they are reconnaissance. But this is an existing fact, because intelligence is the basis of the foundations.
As for the super advantages that NATO allegedly has with the acquisition of these drones, it’s not worth exaggerating.
Suppose a new UAV has more image resolution and more sensitive technical intelligence tensors. But it’s too early to talk about it.
The task of Global Hawk and its subsequent versions is intelligence.
– In Syria, our EW funds are calculated by drones of terrorists from a distance of tens of kilometers. And let’s say we can land these, where necessary?
– this is not radar, but a means of electronic warfare. A system that analyzes the received signal creates interference and also interferes with the control channels.
It’s really difficult to interfere with a system like Global Hawk – let’s say, to land it like other impact drones. Because it is autonomous.
It exchanges data through a satellite channel. One team prepares him for take-off, for example, in Europe, and when it takes off, transfers control to the crew, which is located in Virginia, for example.
And if the device for some reason loses the communication channel, it continues to programmed to carry out the task, periodically trying to get in touch. It is very difficult to drown out all communication channels, including satellite ones.
We have exactly the same developments, and are now being tested. This is the Altius unmanned aerial vehicle – it also has satellite communications channels. There are similar things in China. But in such situations, a drone is easier to shoot down than to land.
– Yes, but Stoltenberg said that they will fly in the sky of the NATO country … How then will we get to it?
- We are not Americans who bring down and kill everyone, despite the principle of international law. Now, if it crosses the border of Russia, we have the right to bring him down. If it doesn’t cross, then it will be a violation of the Geneva Convention, but we nevertheless follow international law.
– Are these drones a real threat to us or not?
– Of course, such drones pose an immediate threat, because they are spies. And threats must be eliminated. And we always fight with spies. Some specific measures are being taken, interference is being put … etc. They are trying to scout, we are hiding. Russia leads the same thing. We just have the technical capabilities in terms of UAVs so far worse.
– But taking into account the size of Russia, which stretches ten thousand kilometers from west to east, and four thousand from north to south, what is 200 kilometers?
– Even 200 km play a role. But, of course, they cannot look too deeply. But critical objects are not placed close to the border.
The earth is round. Flying in Germany, Global Hawk cannot see to Irkutsk. Kaliningrad region — they see, and then it is over. Earth’s curvature nullifies this advantage.
Therefore, such vehicles can only conduct reconnaissance in border areas. Which is happening. Most often, their appearance is recorded in certain border fortified areas – in the Crimea and Kaliningrad.
The head of the Center for the Study of Public Applied Problems of National Security, retired Air Force Colonel Alexander Zhilin, in turn, is surprised by the openness of the NATO Secretary General:
– It seems to me that if you have a unique tool for collecting intelligence (technical, electronic, any …), then you should not shout about it to the whole world. And quietly use these opportunities to obtain information. In this case, everything is replicated. The question is, why?
In my opinion, there are several reasons. Or it’s a “cover legend” of something serious that the Americans are doing. Let’s say what Trump talked about at one time – that they create weapons based on new physical principles.
Or it’s an attempt to “spin” the enemy into the next Star Wars program, as Reagan once did. As a result, we (then the Soviet Union) invested a lot of money in deadlock projects and other bullshit and failed.
As for the drones that they use for reconnaissance … Still, nothing better (if I may say so) that good old the Awacs, which still flies along our Russian borders, has not been invented. This American aircraft complex is loaded with tons of reconnaissance equipment and provides a variety of data.
– But this is a manned aircraft …
– Yes, manned. But it is unlikely that drones will solve all the tasks of reconnaissance, reconnaissance is a complex of measures. These are agents, and technical means, and much, much more.
And according to Stoltenberg, it turns out that the advanced drone is better than all US and NATO space intelligence. Meanwhile, satellites have a resolution today such that they recognize any person, and whoever goes where are tracked.
For example, I do not see this unique advantage of drones, which the Secretary General of the Alliance speaks of. Suppose we will conduct exercises, they will all fix … But six months before the exercises, we usually send invitations to military attaches, including those of NATO countries. Come, watch, shoot a video …
But nobody will let them close to strategic communication and control channels. They are closed tight.